Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Other Stuff I'm Up To

Hey guys. I know I've been blogging up a storm, but whatever, it makes me happy. Since I've been telling everyone that I want to be a screenwriter, I should probably give it a go, right? So that's what I'm doing. When I'm not working on the fanfic magic, that is. I doubt I'll ever go for original fic, but oh well.

I'd like to focus mainly on television, and I'm currently working on a pilot and a spec script. A pilot is the first episode of any TV series, and you present it to the network so they can decide whether or not they want to invest in more episodes. The writer of the pilot is generally the creator of the show. My pilot is sort of a mockumentary, which is a really fun genre to play around with.

A spec script is an episode you write of a show currently on the air, in the hopes that when you send it in to that show, they hire you as a writer. It's cool, because it's like fanfic in that you use an existing world, but decide where you want it to go. The spec script I'm working on is for The Office, and I thought I'd share part of the cold open with you guys. The spacing is messed up because you can't use tabs in Blogger, but you get the idea.

FADE IN:

INT. OFFICE – EARLY MORNING

JIM is sitting at Dwight’s desk, typing something quickly on Dwight’s computer. PAM, sitting at her desk in reception, looks over in curiosity.

JIM TALKING HEAD

JIM
I signed Dwight up for Facebook. I know
it’s kind of a weird thing to do
without Dwight’s permission, but he’s
been going through a rough time lately
and it might be a nice distraction for
him.

INT. OFFICE – CONTINUOUS – D1

We see a close-up of Dwight Kurt Shrute’s Facebook profile. His profile picture shows Dwight and Mose at their beet farm.

JIM TALKING HEAD

JIM (CONT’D)
I actually got the idea from my sister-
in-law. She made a Facebook profile
for their family cat, Corey Feldman.

INT. OFFICE – CONTINUOUS – D1

Close-up of Corey Feldman The Cat’s Facebook profile. His interests include catnip and taking long naps in the sun.

JIM
Corey Feldman has 47 friends. Let’s see
how Dwight does.

4 comments:

My comment shouldn't really count.. I haven't seen a real script in my life.. and this is kinda short.. But if your script is anything like your fics, then it's bound to be good..or should I say: entertaining, full of humor and with amazingly written characters! If thats your dream, then follow it and make it real!

April 10, 2008 at 2:13 PM  

lol
that sounds great
and absolutley you should write a script!
Just let us know when it's going to be aired and I will totally fly over to the US to watch it...everything comes out like 6 months later here in Australia. Tis rather sucky

anyway -as fara as Saskia goes, I'm happy to wait for you to finish the story, it just doesn't feel like it's epilogue time yet but if it's painful to write don't push it. Just wait until your muse gets back and then tie him to the computer

~Cat

April 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

ahhh, i totally want you to write a script for the office! your style of writing suits the show and from that little excerpt it sounds really funny. gah, now i want to read more. -.-

April 12, 2008 at 9:18 PM  

thanks guys =). part of me wishes i was doing script frenzy (like nanowrimo), but april is about the worst possible month for me.

and catriona: i guess that's why i've waited so long, it really would suck to just jump to the epilogue. and i will definitely tie rémy (my muse) to the computer, once i track him down and force him to come home.

April 13, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home