Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Mud Soccer

I'm home for 5 days in a row! Which is the longest I'm in my home state all winter break. But I've been in a fog whenever I've tried to write recently (Rémy, my muse, has wandered off again), and I've tried to combat this writer's block as best I can. I've been relaxing and eating a lot (I have to get up to a certain weight for crew, I know it's weird), and today I played mud soccer with a few of the high school amigos.


Now, mud soccer is played in the mud (I don't mean to sound patronizing) with basically no rules. You have to hit the other team's recycling can to score, but you can from any angle, even behind. There are no boundaries to the field in mud soccer, and tackling is encouraged. I should also mention that I'm pathetic at contact sports (and mud soccer is absolutely a contact sport), so I was keeper (hey, the HP reference wasn't my idea for once!). I don't think you're supposed to tackle the goalkeeper in any sport, but I was tackled many times by my friend who's 6'8" and well over 200 lbs., and I lived to tell the tale. (I'm 5'3" and, well, not 200 lbs.) But I was a surprisingly good keeper (maybe I should change the name to gryffindorkeeper, eh?), letting in only 3 goals. w00t w00t. But of course my friend who I hate (it's a love-hate thing) tackled me whenever I let anything in, and he was on my team. (At least he's only 6'2".) Mud soccer is very rough.

So that's my story. Rowers (and coxswains) can play soccer too, only we make it slightly more interesting. I will return to writing as soon as I get all the mud out of my ears. Hopefully Rémy will take some time from his holiday in St Moritz and throw me a bone.

That's what she said! Ug, terrible, I know.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home