Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Hiii

Hi! I haven't posted in like...four days. To quote Juno: "Whoa dream big!" But sigh, I'm such an obsessive little blogger.

My sleep cycle has been sooo fricked up cos I got no sleep on Friday. There isn't even a fun story. The fire alarm in my dorm went off about 20 times between 1 & 4 AM, apparently because of a system glitch. I spent most of that time trying to sleep on a bench outside, and it was cold. I think I might've started crying, but I blocked that memory out. So, then we can finally go inside and my friends all went to sleep, but what with my very delicate sleep cycle, I couldn't get my REM thing started again. So I stayed up all night, alone except for this weird kid down the hall who I don't like. So I've been angry and cranky for a while.

I know I've been like "blaaah throwing TV shows and musical groups in your face blaaah!" but I have one more thing that I was obsessed with when I was 11 and have rediscovered. It's a miniseries called The 10th Kingdom. It's actually 7 hours long, so it's hard to sum it up, but this is according to our good friends at Wikipedia: "It depicts the adventures of a young woman and her father after they are transported from Manhattan, New York through a magical mirror into an enchanting world of fairy tales and self-discovery."

That's basically it, but it's really a modern adventure/fantasy story that incorporates Snow White, Cinderella, Rapunzel, and a ton of other Grimm's fairy tales. And of course, the girl (Virginia) falls in love with a werewolf (aptly named Wolf), and I now realize where my preference for werewolves (Jacob Black, Remus Lupin) comes from. The whole thing probably sound cheesy and stupid but I promise it's not. I hate fairy tales but I love The 10th Kingdom. It's sort of a satire, but it also celebrates the genre. It is very humorous and there are a ton of jokes I didn't get when I was little. I'm not sure what it's rated, but probably PG. Kids can watch it but it's also entertaining for adults. Like, it's not worse than We Gryffies or Saskia.

So try to find it at Blockbuster or Netflix! The whole thing is also on YouTube, but of course the quality isn't fantastic. If you just want a taste of it, here's a clip of the beginning.

I should warn you that in the title sequence (which won an Emmy, I'll have you know) there's an image of the World Trade Center collapsing. The series was released in 2000, so how could they have known? But you might find this troubling. I know people whose parents died on 9/11...I thank God that my dad was in Boston that day. But you can fast-forward to 0:55 (55 seconds in) and you'll skip it.

GS loves you! I feel weirdly affectionate right now. But I love you and want you to be happy and I bet my bottom dollar that The 10th Kingdom will make you happy. Well, no, I'm actually broke. But Max Medina from Gilmore Girls is in it! Let's hope that's sufficient consolation.

Y Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Olé! Lo siento, yo no hablo español.

3 comments:

omigawwww....are you my secret long lost twin?!?!
i didn't think there was another person on the planet who knew 10th kingdom AND celtic thunder!!!!
are you a gormenghast fan, too?!?!
i had the ring's song stuck in my head the other day, actually...great movie...show? well, i saw it all at once, so i'm gonna call it a movie....
haha, speaking of hidden inappropriate jokes, the movie Made of Honor? chalk full of them. some less subtle than others...
oh dear, spontaneous fire drill...they never do seem convenient...mybe that's the point...*sigh*.
and yay for the use of blaaaah.
makes my day.

May 5, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

WOLF! I went through a major wolf icon faze years ago. When i saw the actor on gilmore girls I nearly fainted with joy.

I accidently wore my bath slippers out when my dorm's alarm went off and ended up huddled with some friends for warmth. all because someone did not how to make popcorn right.

May 5, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

frosh_chica_vingtdix: Yes, I am your secret long lost twin. I know this may be an odd place to confess this, but I've lived a lie for far too long.

Not for realsies, though! I think we both just have good taste. I must say that I've never heard of gormenghast =(. And I have not seen Made of Honor! (I don't get the big deal about Patrick Dempsey.)

marswatcher: I'm such a dork, I'm all 10th Kingdom icon pimped out at the HPFF forums. Personally, I feel like they didn't utilize Wolf/Max Medina's fine acting skills on Gilmore Girls! Well, maybe he just makes a good half-canine.

Ugh, I hate people who can't use microwaves and consequently start fires! Usually when the alarm in my dorm goes off, though, it's cos someone's smoking...something...that's in the word "pottery".

May 5, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home