Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I'm Oscar! Dot Com!

Title from Arrested Development. I'm uncreative.

Okay, I know I've been really random and off topic as of late, but I posted a preview of WG Ch. 14 on the HPFF and EHPF forums. Check it out. You'll be confused.

And mostly I'm posting because I came across a really great Stephen Sondheim quote. (If you don't know who he is, you should! He's the composer and lyricist behind Sweeney Todd, Follies, Company, Into the Woods, and a bunch of other musicals. Plus he wrote the lyrics to West Side Story: "Then you are set / With a capital J, / Which you'll never forget / Till they cart you away. / When you're a Jet, / You stay a Jet!") Anyhoo, he once wrote: "Humor is about character, not cleverness." I really like that interpretation. If you're trying to be clever, then you're probably not that funny. You have to concentrate on the characters and the humor will come about organically. That's my two cents, at least.

Ch. 14 is coming along. It will probably be short, but there's been complaints about length so it's probably for the best. It's been really, really difficult for me to write, and you'll see why with time. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a train wreck. Don't worry, no one dies! Though I think I'll kill off somebody by the end of this school year. I'm not kidding.

Oh, and James McAvoy once played Riff in West Side Story! Isn't that cool? I can just imagine him singing the Jet song and snapping his fingers.

2 comments:

Who was the dork who complained about the lenght? I will get him... grr
The longer, the better!!! :D:D

March 27, 2008 at 4:28 PM  

Lol, thanks. The length is a legitimate concern, I must admit. My current plan is to go back and forth, short, long, short, long, every other chapter to appease no one.

Kidding! Sort of. I just want each chapter to effectively convey its subplots.

March 31, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home